This week I took a VERY BIG step for me. Every year around this time, the 8th graders visit the Career and Technical Center in Wartburg. This is where all of the classes like cosmetology, carpentry, machine shop, welding, auto body repair, and auto mechanics are taught. As the school counselor, I usually plan and go on the field trip to Wartburg. The Family and Consumer Sciences teacher at Oakdale just recently got her School Counseling license and has been teaching Teen Living to all of the middle school students. Therefore, she has worked with them on career paths and possible plans for after high school. I delegated and allowed Ms. Blount, my husband (who teaches 8th graders) and one of my best friends/sister Carol (who also teaches 8th graders) to take charge of the field trip and I didn’t go. It was so nice to walk them to the bus today and wave Bye Bye!
Also, today the junior class had a talent show. Several weeks ago they had begun the plans for the show and were requiring contestants to fill out forms to participate. So I decided to participate. This morning I played the piano in front of the entire student body. I was the only teacher to participate and I was very proud of myself. I played “Shout to the Lord.” I could hear some of the kids in the crowd actually singing the song. It was really cool.
This week was a 3 day week for me. We got out of school Monday for bad weather or icy roads – who knows. Wednesday I attended a meeting in Knoxville about State Testing. Only 5 more school days until Spring Break. I’m excited about spring break because my wonderful nieces will be spending several days with me. I just pray the weather is pretty.
I’ve had several prayer requests answered this week. One of my best friends/sister Amy had a specific situation make a very positive turn. Also our school board voted to enter into negotiations with a wonderful man for our next Director of Schools. I continue to pray for both situations to completely work out for the best.
I do have one complaint this week. There is actually a show on TV about a teacher who makes meth! I’m so shocked. I won't mention the name of the show, but shows like this make people desensitized to the fact that these issues are ILLEGAL, IMMORAL, and just plain WRONG! Of course this is a very sore subject for me.
Don't forget to Spring Forward this weekend!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment